We set out to restore this 1920’s summer house, and bring out its best.
We began by removing additions that had buried the original house, making the mass of the original structure easy to read again. We then created a roof line that unified the additions and acted as a foil to the mass of the original house instead of hiding it and blurring it. We saved the original bead board in the living room, as well as the field stone fireplace- the “Treasure Box” of the house. The triangular inset of the “Eames Room” became an outdoor skylight, lighting the entry approach.
We preserved the modest size of the house: small master bedroom, very small bedrooms and original tub bathroom upstairs. The footprint of the house remained virtually unchanged.