While in college, Daniel Scully worked for 4 summers with Louis I. Kahn, Architect, on projects such as the Exeter Library, in Exeter, NH, and the Sher-e-Bangla Nagar: Capital of Bangladesh in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Subsequently, he worked briefly for Paul Rudolph, architect of the Art and Architecture Building at Yale University, and then Robert Venturi, his thesis advisor with whom he helped write *Learning from Las Vegas*. After a year at the American Academy in Rome and teaching a full range of design, architectural history, and energy design courses for two years at Ramapo College in New Jersey, Dan became the third member of Total Environmental Action (TEA) in 1973. At TEA, Dan was on the Board of Directors, Vice President for Design and headed a 10 person Design Group division of the company that grew to 35 people and focused on solar heating and energy efficiency. There he also taught a more conceptual course on Integrated Energy Systems as they relate to building design form and technologies – now called Sustainable Design. DVS/A has designed several academic projects intended to meet the Green Building Council LEEDS standards.
Scully/Architects was founded in 1983. Very active in the Monadnock Region/Keene community, Dan finds a visually strong modern architectural irony, and zing, in an inventive juxtaposition of a combination of historical context and a future sustainable vision, in the individual scale service of the larger community context.
DVS/A has received numerous design and planning awards from the AIA and PLAN/NH Awards. AIANH awarded Dan their highest honor, the Clinton Sheerr Award for Architectural Excellence.
DANIEL V. SCULLY
- 1966-1970 Yale University, Master of Architecture
- Yale University, Bachelor of Architecture
- 1963-1966 Union College, American Studies and Art
- Architect, State of New Hampshire #1277
- Architect, State of Connecticut #6514
- Architect, State of Maine #1491
- Architect, Commonwealth of Massachusetts #7287
- Architect, State of Rhode Island #1706
- Architect, State of Vermont #1726
- NCARB Certification #34031
- LEED Certification
- 1983 – Present Daniel V. Scully/Architects – Architect and Founding Principal
- 1981 – 1983 Equinox, Inc. – Architect and Founding Principal
- 1974 – 1981 Total Environmental Action, Inc – Board of Directors & Vice President of Design
- 1976 – 1978 Adjunct Faculty – Department of Art, Keene State College, Keene, NH
- 1973 – 1975 Assistant Professor of Architecture – Ramapo College, NJ
- 1972 – 1973 Main Street Development Corporation – Pre-fabricated Housing Designer
- 1970 – 1972 Architectural Draftsman – Self-employed designer & contractor
- 1962 – 1967 Louis I. Kahn, Architect – Summers: office boy to job captain
- MONIFF – International Film Festival, Board of Directors, 2018 – to the present
- Augustus Saint Gaudens National Historic Site, Cornish, NH, Board of Trustees,
Executive Committee 1991-present, Chairman, Facilities Committee, General Management
Plan with National Park Services
- Augustus Saint Gaudens National Historic Site – Design of base and surround for the Shaw Memorial,
2nd casting; Barn Renovation; Standing Lincoln
- Friends of Center City, Keene, NH, Director, 2006 to present.
- Chairman, Facilities Committee, General Management Plan with National Park Service.
- Design of base & surround for the Shaw Memorial, 2nd casting; Barn Renovation.
- Trustee/Executive Board: Museum of Transportation, Boston, MA; Exhibit & Building Committees.
- PLAN-NH, Board of Directors, 1996-1999.
- Conval High School, Keene, NH Solar Racecar: Management and technical advisor to student project coordinator, 1991.
- Dublin Historical Society: National Register Review & Building Committee, 1988 to 1993
- Selectman, Town of Harrisville, NH, 1978 to 1981, 1981 to 1984.
- Chairman, Fire Station Building Committee, Town of Harrisville, 1981 to 84.
- Planning Board, Historic District Commission, Town of Harrisville, 1980 to 84.
- Brownfields Advisory Board, Southwest Regional Planning Commission.
- Monadnock Perspectives, Inc.-planning newsletter : Board of Directors 1978 –2004.
- Society for Commercial Archaeology, co-Founder, 1977, and past President.
- Elm City Rotary, Keene, NH. 1997 to Present.
- New Urbanism Council
HONORS & AWARDS
- 2021 Plan NH, Merit Award, the SHOWROOM, community enhancement
- 2017 NH Home Design Awards: Excellence, Specialty Room- Studio/Archives
- 2016 Marvin Architectural Challenge: Award for “Best Transitional/Eclectic” renovation.
- 2016 Ewing Arts Award
- 2016 AIANH, Monahon Award, architectural Restoration & Preservation- Hancock, Mtg
- 2014 PLANNH; the Honor Award of Merit; Keene’s Railroad Land Redevelopment
- 2014 AIANH Excellence in Architectural Design Citation: Piedra Fina Restaurant
- 2013 AIANH Excellence in Architectural Design Commendation: Beth House
- 2012 AIANH Excellence in Architectural Design Citation: Stonelea-Hist.Preser
- 2010 New Hampshire Preservation Alliance, Preservation Achievement Award, Dublin Town Hall Restoration
- 2010 AIA/New Hampshire, People’s Choice Award, Residential Design, Bigelow House
- 2009 AIA/New Hampshire’s highest, The Clinton Sheerr Award for Architectural Excellence
- 2008 AIA/ Branding the American House Ideas Competition: 1st Place Award: REACHome
- 2008 AIA/New Hampshire, People’s Choice Award, Residential Design, Wollaeger Residence
- 2008 AIA/New Hampshire, Design Excellence Merit Award, Porter Residence
- 2007 AIA/New Hampshire, Design Excellence Merit Award, Briggs Residence
- 2006 AIA/New Hampshire, Design Excellence, Bellows Falls Waypoint Center
- 2005 2 PLAN/NH Community Design Merit Awards, for Zoning Study & Millwork Masters Building.
- 2005 AIA/New Hampshire, Design Merit Award, Draper Residence
- 2004 AIA/NE Excellence in Architecture, Citation for Bellows Falls Waypoint Center
- 2004 Vermont Preservation Trust Award, Bellows Falls Waypoint Center
- 2002 Vermont Open Space Awards Program winner, Bellows Falls Waypoint Center
- 2001 PLAN/NH Community Design Merit Award, Downtown Peterborough, NH
- 2000 PLAN/NH, Winner, Community Design Merit Award – 46 Main Street
- 1994 Detroit Auto Show Design Forum Seminar; luncheon speaker
- 1993 The Electric Vehicle and the American Community competition; First Place, Small Community Award and Special Award for Logo (team leader)
- 1992 Design Honor Award – American Wood Council – Munsonville School
- 1990 Honorable Mention, Gateway Gas Design Competition, Portland, ME. Sponsors: C.N. Brown Co., Mobil Oil Co., A.I.A., Portland Landmarks Com.
- 1990 President’s Award For Initiative – Society for Commercial Archeology
- 1987 “Gilson Road” (Weston) selected to “Grand Concept for Engineering Excellence” – New England Chapter, American Society of Engineers
- 1980 Winner: “Best Built Institutional/Commercial” Design Award : Passive ’80, International Solar Energy Association: FRB Nature Center, NJ
- 1978 Winner: Two HUD Cycle 3 Solar Demonstration Design Awards
- 1978 “Innovative Architects of New England”, Exeter Academy
- 1977 Selected to”40 Under 40″ in Architecture & Urbanism Magazine, RAM Stern
- 1972 Progressive Architecture Magazine Annual Design Awards, Citation
- 1969 Prix de Rome Fellowship: “Las Vegas to Rome” (w/Ron Filson)
Academic / Institutional / Municipal:
- Keene ICE rink, 40,000 SF dedicated ice rink; extensive Heat Reclamation
- Town of Swanzey, analysis of all Municipal Facilities, programming & design proposals
- Dublin School, Rowing Sculls Boathouse and meeting room
- Keene Public Library- public visioning study and concept design for Library addition
- Dublin Police Station, Renovation
- Lincoln Fire Station, New Building
- Mason School, Additions and renovations, CHPS Program w/ Jordan Institute, 21,000 SF
- Dublin Town Hall, renovations and historic preservation
- Chesterfield Public Library, new building, Chesterfield, NH
- Tufts Univ., Fletcher School of Diplomacy, Abu Dhabi campus concept
- Sophia’s Hearth Family Center, Keene, NH, designed to LEED standards
- Marlboro College, Master Planning design team; new Library building design/renovations.
- Bellows Falls, Vt., Waypoint Interpretive Center, history used to put present in context.
- Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, – like 19th century shingle style chapel in the woods
- Savidge Library Access walk, MacDowell Colony, Peterborough, NH (National Registry)
- Dublin School, Dublin, NH – Gymnasium – 14,500 sf, master plan & schematic design
- Dublin Community Church, renovations/accessibility to National Historic Registry building
- New Hampshire Vocational-Technical College, Claremont campus – New 40,000sf library/computer
- center/industrial training center/medical lab.(Designer, Scully&Monahon Joint Venture)
- College of the Atlantic, Bar Harbor, ME: Kaelber Hall – Library/dining hall/meeting room complex – 19,000sf shingle style, model of energy efficiency; Schematic designer, Gates Auditorium – 300 seat auditorium and dance hall,
- Munsonville School, Nelson, NH – Addition-elementary grade school- image of train
- Greenfield School, renovations and stairway
- Ashuelot Village Head Start Facility, Winchester, NH
- General Services Administration Building, Concord, NH –
- Curtain wall window replacement, 100,000sf (w/X-Energy)
- Weare Public Library Addition, Weare, NH – Carnegie-style library
- Flat Rock Brook Nature Center, NJ -Winner, solar design award, LEED cert, retroactively >30 years
- New England Regional Wastewater Institute, SMVTI, ME- Classrooms (w/Weston)
- Dwight Englewood School, Englewood, NJ – Music & Arts Center renovation
- Fireboat House, New York City, NY- Energy education facility renovations
- Piedra Fina Restaurant, 61 seat Latin restaurant, with a twist
- Monadnock Community Market, Co-op, 12,500 sf
- Railroad Street Development: Bldg A: 4 story mixed use, 34,500sf;
- Schematic design for Bldgs. B & C, a 5 story 72,500 sf hotel, and an 85,000sf sports Complex
- Millwork Masters Building; new 11,000 sf showroom: building along street, parking behind
- Honda Dealership, Fenton Family Dealerships: new 22,000sf showroom and shop
- 46 Main Street, complete transformation/renovations to old Woolworth Building, Keene
- Marquee Grille (Gatto’s) & Peterborough Community Theater Building, renovations, NH
- Depot Square: Peterborough, NH: Master Planning
- 12 Pine Restaurant/Store, created a new town center.
- Peterborough Fine Arts Gallery
- Sharon Arts Center Gallery
- Corporate Office building/Baseball Stadium Entry Arcade, 30,000sf, (in conceptual stage)
- All Dogs Gym facility, Manchester Airport, 32,000sf
- CITCO gas/convenience, Cheshire Oil / MacMillin Construction Co.
- Colonial Theater Renovations, Keene , NH – design of 2nd Screening Room
- – coordination of George Izenour, Theater Consultant
- MacMillin Construction: design consultant for new entry facade, foyer, reception desk
- J.A. Wright & Co., factory and corporate office renovations
- Andres, sculpture studio fabrication shop -steel building, with 8 ton trolley
- Peter Pap Oriental Rugs, museum gallery like new showrooms, and offices, Dublin, NH
- 3 Exhibit Booths designs: Fall San Francisco, LA, & NYC Winter Antiques Shows
- New England Marionette Opera theater design, Peterborough, NH
- Currier / Tilton Junction Railroad Station, Tilton, NH
- Office for Paul Hansen Associates: The Hansen Report, Goffstown, NH
- Nashua Volvo/Toyota showroom/shop addition, Nashua, NH (Page Enterprises)
- Lincoln Fire Station, Lincoln, NH
- French’s Tavern, Dublin, NH- B& B; renovation of Charles Bulfinch design of 1825
- Pete’s BMW Cycle Shop, Dublin, NH – Showroom addition and warehouse building
- Erickson Stove Works – Renovations to 19th Century Railroad Station, Littleton, MA
- Hydro Electric Turbine Power House, Franklyn, NH (National Registry district) Weston
- 8 Water Treatment & Control Buildings for Roy F. Weston, Inc., including:
- City of Burlington, VT; Towns of Littleton, Lincoln, Derry, and Concord, NH
- Gilson Road Treatment Facility, EPA Superfund – 19,000 sf
- Avco-Lycoming, Steel building for Army Corps, CT
- Stevens Mill Hydroelectric Power House Pine Creek Hydroelectric Power House proposal, CA
Residential: More than 100 New and Renovations/Additions projects, including Deep Energy Conservation Retrofit and solar/PV electric power generation
- Rail Road Street Development, Keene, Master Plan for 7 urban buildings, approximately 250,000 SF, Mixed Use
- Francis Parker Essential Charter School, Ayer, MA, Master Plan
- Latchis Theaters, Master Plan for 6 theaters, live and movie, (Jt. Venture, Scully & Monahon/Architects)
- Marlboro College, Master Planning Design Team
- Depot Square, Peterborough, NH master plan consulting – a new urban center
- Massabesic Audubon Center, Auburn, NH – Master Planning.
- College of the Atlantic: Campus Master Plan Design, ME
- Reviewed 200,000 sf Wal*Mart submission for Keene Planning Department-denied.
- Municipal Building Site Assessment and Planning Study, Town of Lincoln, NH
- “Woodsmill” analysis and land planning for 1,000 acres, Stoddard, NH
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS & MEDIA
- Architectural Design;
- Architectural Forum;
- Ripley’s Believe It or Not;
- New Hampshire Magazine, January 2004; Woallager House
- New Hampshire Magazine, February 2004; Draper House
- Art New England, 10-11/2000: Architecture, Daniel Scully in Dublin, NH (Thayer House)
- AutoWeek Magazine; January 11, 1994 – Design Forum , article
- Automobile Magazine 1/92: 6 page architectural portfolio.
- Fine Homebuilding 9/91: ” Decorative Columns “; Electric Perspectives, 7 & 8/93
- New Hampshire Profiles, 3/90 “Ranch Revival” & 9/87 “Architecture in Motion”
- Art Press #151, 10/90 “Fast and Slow” in American art, by Robert Storr / MOMA
- New England Monthly, 6/85
- Architectural Record, 11/81: The Fireboat House
- Progressive Architecture, 7/80: Flat Rock Brook Nature Center, NJ
- Newsweek, 4/7/80: “Architecture: The Solar Revolution”
- Global Architecture #7: “Moore and Students: Daniel V. Scully”; Global Architecture #29
- Solar Age, 3/81: Cook House “Steamboat Ashore”
- Journal of Architectural Education, Vol. XXIX, No. 1: “Animus”
- Boston Globe: “Summer Screen”, July 15, 2007; also Providence Journal & Hartford Courant
- Keene Sentinel: 46 Main Street; DVS Profile (2)
- Boston Globe Magazine; March 3,1996; “Architectural Pioneers”
- Boston Globe, 8/14/92: “Driving It Home”
- New York Times, 9/12/9: Munsonville School
- Boston Globe 5/16/91 “Nelson School’s New ‘Train’ Is an Experiment in Education”
- New York Times, 11/13/86;
- The Union Leader, NH 1/23/91 “The Little Engine that Could”
- ABC, Discovery Channel: Outstanding Garages, 2005
- Home & Garden cable: Extreme Homes, ’99
- ABC/Good Morning America, 3/89;
- Channel 11/NH Crossroads, 3/89
- Cable News Network and WBTS-TV Superstation, 10/87
- Monadnock Summer, The Architectural Legacy of Dublin, NH William Morgan, 2011;many references
- Log Houses of the World, Richard Olsen, 2006, pages 218-225
- The Cape Cod Cottage, William Morgan, 2006, DVS wrote the Forward
- Taunton Home TILE Idea Book, 2005, Page108, the Anderson House entry tile.
- The Abrams Guide to American House Styles, Will Morgan, 2004, pages 63, 216, 411
- The Bones of the Earth, Howard Mansfield, 2004 Scully, “The Flaneur of the Strip”. Pages 73-85
- A House on the Water, Robert Knight , 2003, “Living Out On The Lake”, Wallaeger House. Pages
- Ultimate Garages, Phil Berg, “A Shrine to the Gods of Fuel”. Pages 201-208
- The Fuel Savers, A Kit of Solar Ideas for Existing Homes, author
- Solar Energy Home Design in Four Climates, co-author
- American Houses, Philip Langdon,
- Modest Mansions, Donald Prowler,
- Main Street to Miracle Mile, Chester Liebs,
- The Complete Greenhouse Book, Clegg,