The Fuller Library, Governor John Butler Mansion
Hillsborough, New Hampshire
The Fuller Library was built in 1866 and the front was added in 1891, it is recognized as one of New Hampshire’s most significant Victorian building. The mansion is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Governor John Butler, was a prominent Hillsborough Mill owner and later Governor of New Hampshire. He gave his house to the town over 80 years ago. Since then the house has been used mainly as the Fuller Library and the adjacent carriage house is
now the Town Offices.
The project benefited from a Plan NH sponsored town-wide Design Charrette to determine what the building complex should become and how to best accommodate the Library. Previous completed phases overseen by Project Manager David Drasba included renovations of the basement to become a children’s library and renovations to bring a secondary stairway to meet current codes. The Library also received an LCHIP award to help pay for the installation of a sprinkler system throughout the building.
The current phase will renovate the second floor and install a LULA lift that will serve 5 levels of this grand building.